Sunday, December 30, 2012

Harnessing Your Harvest: A New Storage Solution for the Home Gardener

I'm forever on a quest to be able to save money and time.  I don't save a lot of time in the summer, as I'm constantly out puttering in the garden like it's my home, but the rewards of having so much produce on hand all summer long just makes me happy (and drastically cuts my grocery bill for a few months!).
But, besides beans and tomatoes, I'd love a way to save veggies while at the same time finding a way to have them convenient to grab and cook on nights when I'm not sure what side to have with a meal.  I do have a microwave steamer, which I love, but having, say broccoli, in steam bags like you buy at the grocery store would be wonderful.
So I did a little research. :)
Little did I know that both Ziploc & Glad make steam bags for your own veggies!!  Awesome!!!

Ziploc Zip'N Steam Cooking Bags, Medium, 10-Count(Pack of 3)

Glad Simplycooking Microwave Steaming Bags 7 Bags Per Pack, X-large Bags 5-6 Servings Portion

I have not done a cost comparison yet to see if this is more cost efficient than just buying the SteamFresh veggies at the store, but I do know that it HAS to be healthier as everything I grow is organic, pesticide free, and I know where it's coming from.  Who knows what kinds of crazy chemicals get sprayed on these veggies to give them that almost fake, robust color that they ALWAYS have.
This would be great to have a summer mix of home-grown veggies steamed in the middle of December!!
I'm still going to freeze for recipes, and I'll still can in my wonderful pressure-canner, but this would make a great way to keep some things out of the can!! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment