Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Carrot & Zucchini Protein Bread Recipe

This is not coupon related per se, but I found it this morning and wanted to share.

I am (in some people's words) a "health nut", and I am constantly striving to alter my diet from the boring cycle that it gets into.  A typical day for me is such:

Egg whites and oatmeal
Protein shake
Chicken breast, broccoli & brown rice
protein bar
Chicken breast, green beans & broccoli
protein shake or bar (before bed snack, if still hungry)

I know to most it seems really bland and boring, but really, it's a great diet and I'm typically not hungry.  Eating every 2-3 hours really helps, especially if you are a binge eater like me. (Sit down to snack on some crackers and the next thing you know you've devoured the entire box.)

This recipe, found at Protein Pow would be a great addition to either breakfast, or any of my protein snacks during the day.

The Incredible Low Carb and Low Fat Carrot and Zucchini Protein Bread


Ingredients 

1 cup (178g) of carrot, zucchini, apple and ginger pulp
1 cup (225ml) of liquid egg whites
1/2 cup (40g) of whey  protein powder
1/2 cup (62g) of pea protein powder
1 cup (160ml) of coconut milk
1 tbsp of cinnamon (added on top before  baking)
1 tbsp of vanilla essence


The first step is to blend everything together. The ensuing mix is absolutely delicious. I kind of thought for a second "I'll leave it like this!" but then... well, I poured into a bread loaf and baked it at 160 C (320 F) until, when stabbed with a knife, the knife came out clean (about 35-40 minutes).

The final loaf was flat, it didn't really rise at all but that was to be expected since, as you'll notice, no flour is involve and the ingredients are all quite dense. I ended up slicing it into 12 rectangular slices and, topped with a bit of organic grass-fed butter? MMMMM!!!!!! It's amazing, I mean, besides the pulp, this bread is basically all protein! Because of the density of the pulp (as well as the pea protein powder), a perfectly moist texture is created rich in carrotness and vanilla power. Add then you get the cinnamon and: POW! What a delicious little loaf of goodness :-D


One thing I was going to do but didn't actually was to turn a few of these slices into French Toast - you know, dip them in egg and milk and fry them up. I think this would have been unbelievably tasty so give it a shot if you remember because topped with sugar-free maple syrup.

Marcros per one slice out of the twelve I got from the mix above: 68.6kcals, 9.6g protein, 5.8g carbs (out of which 1.6g fiber and 0.6g sugars), 0.75g fat (0.3g saturated.)

PS - If you don't have a juicer and want to make this anyways, grate the carrots, apple, and ginger and squeeze them in a paper towel (with all that strength you work for at the gym). Then, instead of blending your fruit and veg into the the batter, just whisk it in. You want to whisk instead of blend because your grated (and subsequently strangled) fruit and veg will hold more moisture than my juicer pulp and you don't want all that extra moisture to turn the batter into a juicy mush. Your bread will habe more of a texture than mine - it'll be less bready and more carrot-cakey but that's fine, it'll still be delicious :-)

Recipe via ProteinPow.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment